AAR Business Plan
Download the PDF version here: AAR Business Plan as amended
Alabama Association of REALTORS®
As amended June 13, 2012
Mission Statement: The Alabama Association of REALTORS® exists to organize, serve, and unite its membership in areas where it can be more effective than local boards and the National Association of REALTORS® and shall, as its primary mission: Provide professional opportunities; Foster the highest standards of ethical conduct and enforce the Code of Ethics of the National Association of REALTORS®; Protect and promote the political, legal, and business interests of its members; Promote and enhance the image of REALTOR® and REALTOR-ASSOCIATE® members; and Safeguard the rights of private property ownership.
Vision Statement: The Alabama Association of REALTORS® shall be the cornerstone organization in Alabama to advocate, protect and enhance REALTOR® interests, to promote the Code of Ethics, and to safeguard private property rights.
Strategic Objective 1 Governmental and Regulatory Affairs
1.1 Provide the resources necessary to improve our successful legislative program.
- Modify the budget to adequately fund the governmental affairs director and support staff
- Prioritize and maintain continuity of legislative goals
- Develop a Regional Governmental Affairs Liaison Program
- Continue to maintain and support Alabama Association of REALTORS®’ strong relationships with Alabama’s congressional delegation.
1.2 Establish and maintain a proactive legislative program
1.3 Protect REALTOR® interests with state regulatory boards, agencies and commissions.
- Maintain strong working relationship with Alabama Real Estate Commission.
- Continue to prevent the Department of Banking from enforcing opinions that open the door to allowing state-chartered banks to broker real estate.
- Build on strong relationship with Department of Insurance in addressing real estate insurance-related issues.
- Prevent agencies such as the Department of Agriculture and Industries from imposing seller’s disclosure requirements on sellers or our members that represent them.
- Continue to lobby the Building Commission to enforce the Home Inspector Licensure Law.
1.4 Smart Growth and Land Use
- Monitor and respond to Smart Growth issues on a statewide and local level.
- Educate REALTORS® and elected officials on Smart Growth.
- Encourage REALTOR® member participation and attendance at conferences, town hall meetings, county/city councils relating to Smart Growth.
- Encourage local Boards/Associations to monitor city/county government meeting agendas.
- Encourage REALTORS® to serve on Planning Boards and in city/county government.
1.5 Utilize the Alabama Center for Real Estate for legislative and market research.
- Outsource research of legislative issues with major economic or market consequences to Alabama Center for Real Estate for academic study, where it is feasible to wait for a longer study to be conducted.
- When appropriate, use Alabama Center for Real Estate’s services to study important issues in the Alabama real estate market.
Strategic Objective 2 Political Affairs2.1 In 2010 and each successive four years, AAR’s highest planned priority focus shall be on candidate endorsements, contributions, organizing REALTORS® to volunteer in selected races, Election Day activities and turnout.
2.2 Maintain and strengthen an Alabama REALTORS Political Action Committee Culture by promoting ARPAC as one of the three top priorities for local associations.
- Produce an Alabama REALTORS® Political Action Committee video and marketing materials for local use at meetings and in new member orientations.
- Continue to promote Alabama REALTORS® Political Action Committee participation at or above the “Fair Share” and major donor levels.
- Encourage REALTOR® awareness and involvement in local governmental issues.
- Promote and plan an effective Federal Political Coordinator program.
- It is the responsibility of the Chair, Vice Chair and ARPAC Trustees to provide political training on an annual or biennial basis, holding a conference in Montgomery for local board leaders, local Alabama REALTORS® Political Action Committee chairs, and local Association Executives, to teach the rules of Alabama REALTORS® Political Action Committee fundraising, as well as best practices on local fundraising, candidate endorsements and grassroots lobbying.
- Continue Alabama REALTORS® Political Action Committee’s thank you and recognition program of all contributors.
2.3 Promote a substantial increase in member and Association Executive political involvement.
- Publish a quarterly report of successes for members due to REALTOR® political involvement.
- Obtain a 15% or greater member response rate to all Alabama Association of REALTORS® and National Association of REALTORS® Calls for Action.
- Assist local boards in obtaining member home addresses and email addresses for state and local grassroots communication and voter turnout.
- Local Boards/Associations are encouraged to advise AAR of any city council, county commission, zoning board, etc. initiatives that have a negative consequence for REALTORS® or real estate in general.
- When the technology is available, local Boards/Associations are requested to also send legislative Call to Action to their members by email or through MLS subscription.
Strategic Objective 3 AAR’s Facilities and Staffing
3.1 Provide and maintain adequate professional, office and meeting space for Alabama Association of REALTORS® staff, committees and functions.
3.2 Determine highest and best use of Alabama Association of REALTORS property; develop a plan for best utilization of space.
3.3 Review and evaluate Alabama Association of REALTORS® staffing positions and budgetary support.
Strategic Objective 4 Communications with Membership and the Public
4.1 Improve and expand the Alabama Association of REALTORS® Website to make it “Information Central” and maintain a relationship database.
4.2 Create resourceful publications, newsletters, and social media to communicate timely and essential information on a regular basis.
- Ensure that Alabama REALTOR® and Newslines, ATTN: Brokers are distributed.
- Provide local association executives with advance copies of mailings.
- Provide local association executives with an email communication targeted specifically to them.
- Improve the timeliness of communications by providing adequate lead-time notice of meetings, events, deadlines and educational opportunities.
- Increase Regional Vice President visibility at local association meetings and special events.
- Develop outstanding communications with local associations.
- Post on the website the roles and responsibilities of Alabama Association of REALTORS® staff.
- Standardize the branding, logos, and appearance of Alabama Association of REALTORS® publications and marketing materials, to enhance the professional appearance of these publications.
4.3 Conduct effective joint meetings with local association Presidents and Association Executives.
- Plan and promote attendance at an early December “Local Association Alabama Association of REALTORS® Update” at the Alabama Association of REALTORS® Building in Montgomery.
- Include a thirty minute Alabama Association of REALTORS® /Local Leadership presentation at the Alabama Association of REALTORS®-hosted President dinner in Chicago during the National Association of REALTORS® Leadership Summit each August.
- Schedule the first meeting at the January and June state meetings, for local Presidents and Association Executives.
4.4 Develop outstanding communications with local presidents and association executives.
- Regularly email Alabama Association of REALTORS® Information Updates via a “local presidents/association executives distribution list”.
- Increase visits and face to face contact between Alabama Association of REALTORS® staff/Executive Vice President/Regional Vice Presidents and local associations, with the Executive Vice President visiting every local association at least once annually.
- Hold an annual brainstorming and problem-solving session with Regional Vice Presidents, AAR staff, local association presidents and AEs.
- Provide specific training for local association officers to help them serve and include a section on how to work with the local association executive.
Strategic Objective 5 Member Services and Benefits
5.1 Conduct member surveys to determine member needs and opinions.
5.2 Conduct focus groups at locations throughout the state.
5.3 Continue the Leadership AAR Program and improve the recruiting process.
5.4 Evaluate the content and overall benefit of Alabama Association of REALTORS®’ current annual meetings.
- Evaluate Alabama Association of REALTORS®’ meeting attendance and content relative to other state REALTOR® Associations, particularly the balance of governance issues versus the advantages for members outside leadership roles to attend Alabama Association of REALTORS® meetings.
- Hold themed meetings in conjunction with Alabama Association of REALTORS® meetings such as a Top Producer Conference, a Property Management Conference, an Alabama REALTORS® Commercial Alliance/Commercial Real Estate Conference, Large Broker Issues Conference, etc. where a track of programs focuses on the professional development, needs, and education of a significant segment of AAR membership.
5.5 Evaluate the possibility of Alabama Association of REALTORS® adopting a Housing Opportunity program, Cultural Diversity Program and specific services for the various real estate specialties.
5.6 Continue to fund and print local board annual dues statements for their members.
5.7 Continue to provide member data handling for those local boards who depend on Alabama Association of REALTORS® to be the Point Of Entry for their member information at all three levels of the Association.
5.8 Continue to provide direct assistance to local boards to assist them in complying with the National Association of REALTORS® re-certification requirements.
5.9 Continue to aggressively publish deadlines for awards, dues payments, state and National Association of REALTORS®’ director entitlement counts, Alabama REALTORS® Political Action Committee contributions to be received at Alabama Association of REALTORS®, etc.
Strategic Objective 6 REALTOR® Image and Professional Development
6.1 Evaluate continuing education instructors and standardize course curriculum to improve the quality of instruction.
6.2 Work with the institutes, societies and councils to schedule the offering of designation courses around Alabama Association of REALTORS® meetings and events, as well as throughout the year.
6.3 Continuously evaluate and make improvements as necessary to Alabama Association of REALTORS®’ Graduate REALTOR® Institute program.
6.4 Create a new REALTOR® skills and networking class to provide additional training for new members.
6.5 Offer online/live computer training through the Alabama Association of REALTORS® website.
6.6 Offer technology/computer training at Alabama Association of REALTORS® annual meetings.
Strategic Objective 7 Alabama Association of REALTORS® Governance and Leadership
7.1 Amend Bylaws and Policies and Procedures Manual to accomplish goals and association operating procedures.
7.2 Provide detailed job descriptions for the officers, immediate past president, regional vice presidents, directors and committee chairs/vice chairs.
7.3 Outgoing officers and members serving in appointed positions will provide at least a one-page summary of information for the person replacing them the following year.
Strategic Objective 8 Relations with National Association of REALTORS®
8.1 Maintain productive participation relationships with the National Association of REALTORS®.
8.2 Promote individual Alabama REALTOR® committee involvement at the National Association of REALTORS®.
8.3 Position Alabama Association of REALTORS® members for consideration for NAR Presidential appointments.
8.4 Regularly monitor National Association of REALTORS® programs for possible special project grants, for potential local board information and for Alabama Association of REALTORS® website placement as links.
8.5 Maintain consistent and cooperative relationships in National Association of REALTORS® Region V and within the Medium States Forum.
8.6 Increase Alabama Association of REALTORS®' ability to benefit from National Association of REALTORS® research, programs and online services.